Sunday, September 28, 2008

Recap: 28 September 2008

My suspicion that Eagle Eye would take the audience away from Lakeview Terrace turned out to be unfounded. The big surprise this weekend was Christian drama Fireproof, starring Kirk Cameron, which has already made 13 times its budget. I think we can chalk this one up to a pretty brilliant marketing strategy.

This week's Top 10
  1. Eagle Eye ($29.2 million)
  2. Nights in Rodanthe ($13.6 million)
  3. Lakeview Terrace ($7 million)
  4. Fireproof ($6.5 million)
  5. Burn After Reading ($6.2 million)
  6. Igor ($5.5 million)
  7. Righteous Kill ($3.803 million)
  8. My Best Friend’s Girl ($3.8 million)
  9. Miracle at St. Anna ($3.5 million)
  10. Tyler Perry’s the Family That Preys ($3.2 million)
What I Watched
  • The Great McGinty (3 stars): See full review here.
  • Cinema Paradiso (3 stars): Netflix sent me the 170-minute director's cut of this 1988 Oscar-winner for Best Foreign Language film, and I think this is the exception to the rule that director's cuts are better than theatrical releases. Having not seen the theatrical, I obviously can't compare, but this movie seemed to go on forever. That being said, it was a sweet story, well-acted and all that jazz, but I was expecting more.
  • Eagle Eye (2 ½ stars): I always have trouble rating movies that are obviously not very good but during which I still had a good time. This movie falls into that category. There are huge plot holes, and the script could have used more humor, but I was still entertained. Shia LaBoeuf was better than I expected; I'd anticipated feeling like he was miscast, but he pulled off the character well enough. Still, I miss the days of Louis Stevens when he got to showcase his talent for comedy.
  • Then She Found Me (3 ½ stars): Helen Hunt's directorial debut, this movie explores a woman's life as she deals with divorce, meeting her birth mother, a new relationship, and her desire to get pregnant at age 39. The cast as a whole is equal parts funny and touching, but Colin Firth is, as usual, rather brilliant. Bette Midler also shines as Helen Hunt's birth mother. The story suffers a little because of its insistence on tackling so many issues, but all in all it's a solid little movie that deserved better distribution than it got.
  • Citizen Kane (3 ½ stars): See full review here.