Monday, September 22, 2008

Recap: 22 September 2008

Well, I wasn't too horribly far off. I pegged the top 3, just not in the right order.
  1. Lakeview Terrace ($15.6 million)
  2. Burn After Reading ($11.3 million)
  3. My Best Friend's Girl ($8.3 million)
  4. Igor ($8.0 million)
  5. Righteous Kill ($7.7 million)
  6. The Family That Preys ($7.5 million)
  7. The Women ($5.3 million)
  8. Ghost Town ($5.2 million)
  9. The Dark Knight ($3.0 million)
  10. The House Bunny ($2.8 million)
What I Watched:
  • Ghost Town (3 stars): The first act of the movie was pretty slow. We get it: Ricky Gervais' character is unlikeable. Let's move on. The real fun comes when he has to start actually interacting with people instead of just avoiding them.
  • Amélie (4 stars): I saw this several years ago and was unimpressed, which leads me to believe I've become increasingly quirky over the years. Amélie is delightfully whimsical.
  • Hedwig & the Angry Inch (4 stars): I feel well-versed in the world of rock movies now that I've seen Almost Famous, Spinal Tap and Hedwig. Hedwig might be the most well-rounded of the three in the way it blends sentiment and satire. And it had the best music, too.
In Other News
  • I finished what I'm calling my gamma draft of MUTE this weekend. Cheers to me.
  • I'm in the midst of planning my 2008 NaNoWriMo novel, nicknamed Fairytale Redux. I attended my first pre-NaNo KC write-in last night. I think my level of planning might be slightly anal-retentive compared to the other WriMos there. Which, if I'm being honest, is really no surprise.
  • Speaking of NaNoWriMo, the site is getting a makeover for its 10th anniversary. When it relaunches on Oct. 1, my campaign to ensnare new participants will intensify. Be prepared.
  • I'm taking suggestions for a Netflix project, in which I explore the filmography of a screenwriter, director or actor. So, suggest away.
  • I'm going to start doing this with all my Netflix flaps (thank you, Lifehacker).