Wednesday, October 01, 2008

A Writer's Theme Song

Found another meme over at Write Here, Write Now.

Here's the deal:
Find a song that sums up what you think it means to be a writer and post the lyrics on your blog and why you've chosen it. NB: It doesn't have to be your favourite song, it just has to express how you feel about writing and/or being a writer. It can be literal, metaphorical, about a particular form or aspect of writing - whatever you want. Then tag 5 others to do the same (reprint these instructions).
I'd never really thought about a theme song as a writer. I have plenty of project-themed songs that come to mind for various characters, stories, etc. I've also got a number of songs I relate to as an entire human being, but the part of me that is a writer had never resonated clearly with a song. But no longer. I present to you, "Shark Food" by Starsailor. You can listen to the song for free at last.fm. And while you're there, add me as a friend if you like.

Lyrics
Sunshine in the glory skies,
When the broken men open up their eyes.
Sunshine in the glory skies,
When the day is long and the clouds are high.

We're stepping through the door
We're shooting from the heart
And if we get it wrong
They'll feed us to the sharks

The first stanza reminds me of what a bitch writing can be at times contrasted with the euphoria of when it goes well. I picture the quintessential high noon gunfight, except it's me versus my laptop.

The second stanza hits home in a couple of ways. First, it's always a risk revealing something that's come directly from your heart and brain to others. But that's why we do it, too, because there are stories we feel compelled to tell. The risk is worth the reward of seeing someone connect with what we've put out there. Second, I feel a sense of responsibility toward my stories in that I want to tell them clearly and with the attention they deserve. If I don't make the effort to do my absolute best and to continually raise that bar I call "my best," then I deserve to be shark food (and certainly will be in this industry).

I'm not going to tag five people since I don't know five people who will do this. But I will strongly encourage Brittany and Matt to join in the fun.