Sunday, June 15, 2008

Box Office Results and More

Since I'm up late due to an epic battle between my stomach and today's lunch, I figured I'd take the opportunity to point out that I'm now two for three in my box office predictions. This weekend's results:
  1. The Incredible Hulk ($54.5 million)
  2. Kung Fu Panda ($34.3 million)
  3. The Happening ($30.5 million)
  4. You Don’t Mess With the Zohan ($16.4 million)
  5. Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull ($13.5 million)
  6. Sex and the City ($10.2 million)
  7. Iron Man ($5.1 million)
  8. The Strangers ($4.1 million)
  9. The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian ($3 million)
  10. What Happens in Vegas ($1.7 million)
This was the first weekend in quite some time that I didn't make it to the theatres. I did manage to catch a couple of movies on DVD: Into the Wild (3 stars) and Stardust (3 ½ stars).

I finished Stardust the novel this week and felt compelled to give the movie another chance since I enjoyed the book so much. I'd seen it once before and, while I was entertained, I wasn't all that impressed. I had some Borders coupons to use, so I went ahead and shelled out $9 to buy the DVD since I was reasonably certain I'd be much more pleased the second time around. And I was right in my assumptions. Loved the movie the second time around.

A quick word about Into the Wild: I was touched by the story and impressed by Emile Hirsch's performance and dedication to the role, but I thought the direction left a little to be desired.

I spent last week researching, brainstorming and prewriting for my 2008 NaNo effort. I'm really excited about the story, and there's a lot to be done before I would actually want to start writing it (which is good, since I won't be starting 'til November). So, I'm going to keep up with that this week, I think. Additionally, I'll probably do a quick read-through of my Screnzy effort (working title: Tea) just to keep it from sitting too long. So that's what I'll be up to, in case you were wondering.