Sunday, August 24, 2008

Recap: 24 August 2008

It was a pretty unspectacular weekend for the box office. But it is August, so I guess that's to be expected.
  1. Tropic Thunder ($16.1 million)
  2. The House Bunny ($15.1 million)
  3. Death Race ($12.3 million)
  4. The Dark Knight ($10.3 million)
  5. Star Wars: The Clone Wars ($5.7 million)
  6. Pineapple Express ($5.6 million)
  7. Mirrors ($4.9 million)
  8. The Longshots ($4.3 million)
  9. Mamma Mia! ($4.3 million)
  10. The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor ($4.1 million)
I only caught one movie this week: Bottle Shock (3½ stars). There's nothing here that's going to blow you out of the water, but it's a charming flick with good acting and a heartwarming ending that you know is coming but that's done in such a way that you love it anyway. I must admit, though, I did want to pull Alan Rickman aside and explain the difference between a French 'r' and the pseudo-Italian 'r' he was using every time he had to speak French, but that's a nitpick that will go unnoticed by most of the population, I'm sure.

I spent a lot of my free time this week (of which there wasn't much) devouring Watchmen. It's a compelling read, and I'll go ahead and throw my hat in with everyone else who highly recommends it. Also, the trailer makes a lot more sense (and looks exponentially more amazing) now.

In lieu of more mini movie reviews, I'll leave you with this (surprisingly accurate, at least for me) quiz I came across. While initially disappointed that my personality's corresponding font is so boring, I decided it was actually fitting enough, being a screenwriter and all (though technically I write in Final Draft's version of Courier).




You Are Courier New



You have a deep appreciation for tradition and history.

You don't eschew modernity, but you do have a deep reverence for the past.



You are very literate. It's likely you enjoy writing and reading.

Some people may feel you're a bit cold, but you just have high standards for who you hang out with.